Saturday, August 11, 2007

Dancing Universe!


Last weekend I attended a "Yoga Trance Dance" teacher training at the Kripalu center for yogic and health studies in the Berkshire Mountains of MA. I had amazing time and met some rad people.

Native cultures, particularly African, most all use drumming and dance which led to/was enhanced by stretching... yoga. Our teacher, Shiva Rea, taught us that yoga and dance were never supposed to be separate! We got to experience this reality for three bliss filled, learning and growing days. Shiva holds a masters in World Culture and Performance from UCLA and her husband is a third generation doctor, acupuncturist and Ayurveda medicine (Indian meaning "Life Science") master teacher thus helping ground her teachings with much rare experience.

I feel Shiva is a great yogini and master dance teacher, mystic, perhaps a sage? I look forward to sharing my teacher status in this program with others! I also look forward to more training with her. Unique, as part of the 500 hour training in Prana (sanskrit for energy like chinese Qi) there is a Yoga Ed option for learning to/helping bring yoga into school curriculum to benefit many.

In this system, the music choices really help bring the yoga/dance flow into motion. I found it extremely fun, healing and secularly spiritual. I also found it quite educational to practice this amazing, sacred, tantric, illuminating and ancient world art!

Notably, Shiva talked about humans consciously evolving from our current Newtonian view of science toward a leap that is entering a Quantum, sacred understanding. I look forward to studying the "teacher's manual" from this course and learning more about the Lord of Dance (Shiva Nataraja) cosmology... I feel this is all INCREDIBLY enjoyable and benevolent stuff!

No comments: